The Builders Exchange of Tennessee was founded in 1947 with the goal of improving relations between members of the local commercial construction industry. The BX originally did not have a physical location, and as such meetings were typically held at the Andrew Johnson or Farragut hotels in downtown Knoxville. In the 1950s the BX moved into its first permanent offices at 932 North Central Street in Knoxville and began offering formalized plan room services to its members.
In the 1960s the Builders Exchange moved to the Cloverleaf Building at 1301 Hannah Avenue in Knoxville, and then again in 1979 to 301 Clark Street in Knoxville. Growing membership and enhanced plan room services led the BX to remodel the facility at 301 Clark Street in 1992, resulting in a new building twice the size of the original.
The BX's continued growth forced another move to an even bigger facility in 2002. Our current main office at 300 Clark Street in Knoxville came to be after extensive restorations and additions to an existing building, a former church. The new facility featured a much larger area dedicated to our Print Shop operations and more office space to accomodate current and future staff growth.
2007 was a significant year for the Builders Exchange of Tennessee. After celebrating 60 years of serving the construction community in East Tennessee, the decision was made to expand our coverage area to include other areas of the state.
Our branch office opened in December 2008 in Nashville at 2728 Eugenia Avenue. The new branch office offered a full service plan room and print shop just as our Knoxville office and the new location was centrally located in the heart of middle Tennessee.
In 2014 our continued growth in middle Tennessee allowed us to purchase a permanent location for our Nashville office at 2322 Winford Avenue, just a few blocks from our previous location in Nashville. With a branch office in Nashville and more growth on the horizon, BXTN has become the largest organization of its kind in the state of Tennessee.